Era Presentations- Take away

I had a blast today watching and participating in the era presentations. I not only learned so much about all of the decades, but I also learned so much about OT as a profession. The era presentations solidified something I have already learned in my time in OT school, and that is that occupational therapists must be adaptable. This was apparent through all of the presentations. With new inventions and new fads people’s needs will change, and OTs must be able to adapt to whatever the decades will hold. For example, the group who presented on the 1960’s talked about the invention of platform shoes, and with that invention came problems with feet. This need opened up a new area of practice for occupational therapists. Another example of adaptability is how the invention of computers and newer technologies such as video games and cell phones has caused carpal tunnel issues. This also opened up more areas of practice for occupational therapists. It is exciting to me to see how far occupational therapay has come from the 1940s to now, and I can’t wait to see how the profession will change and grow in the years to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dupree Aging and Sexual Health

Dupree Malnutrition