Neuro Note #4

For my fourth and final Neuro Note, I had the opportunity to watch a Memphis Rollin Grizzlies basketball practice. It was truly a privilege to witness their tenacity and athleticism. For those who do not know, the Rollin Grizzlies are a part of the National Wheelchair Basketball Association (NWBA). I was amazed the entire time I watched them play. It was absolutely incredible to see their skill and love for the game.  Once I got home from the practice I researched a little more about the eligibility requirements. Players must have a permanent physical disability of the lower extremities that keeps them from performing "running" basketball as able bodied players. There are different functional classifications that the players are categorized by. This all has to do with their level of injury if they have a spinal cord injury or is categorized by the functional control they have of their lower limbs and trunk. The higher the classification number the higher independence and movement they have. There are only allowed a certain number of higher classifications on the floor at a time.

I highly recommend to any and everyone to attend a Memphis Rollin Grizzlies practice. I had a smile on my face the entire time I watched them. I was also on the edge of my seat the entire time because these guys were so tough and aggressive. I will admit that I gasped a couple of times when they rammed into one another! The only thing I wish we could've done was get to the know the players a little bit. I would have loved to hear their stories. It would have been really interesting to hear the journey of how they got to where they are now. I think what I learned most from this experience is what life after an injury can look like. This is the new normal for these guys, and I think that is amazing. We got to see what life after the initial shock of an injury, and even after therapy visits. We got to see what living life after a life altering injury can look like.

https://www.nwba.org/functionalclassification

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dupree Aging and Sexual Health

Dupree Malnutrition